[ a / cm / ic / sci / tg / v / vg / vip / y ] [ index / top / statistics / report bug ]

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View Post

File: 12KiB, 352x418, AasimarBladesinger.png [View Same] [Google] [iqdb] [SauceNAO]
76945805 No.76945805 [Reply] [Original]
Quoted By: >>76949451

Totally Not Vergil Bladesinger edition.

>UA: Subclasses, Part 5
https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020_102620_Subclasses05.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.is/Books/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons%20%5Bmulti%5D/5th%20Edition%20%285e%29/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Previous thread: >>76936770

TQ: How do you feel about players playing characters inspired by characters from media?

>> No.76948792
Quoted By: >>76948813

>>76948784

some stuff is busted on purpose, most of it is not.

>> No.76948803

>>76948692
I'm fine with the reflavoring you've done, but you yourself say it sucks, implying homebrew would be better. I disagree with this, but I can't make an argument until I know what it is that would satisfy you.

>>76948678
Multiple possibilities. I don't think monks are good, but if you're willing to sacrifice damage you can do a battlemaster 3/open hand 5 build. Stunning strike, lots of ways to knock enemies prone, the works. Or, hexblade/bard. Some bardic inspirations are better versions of manouvers, such as glamours over manouvering strike, or sword bard's for defensive manouevrs. You can fluff some spells too, considering you use your weapon as your focus already.
But honestly, what you want already exists because every character can take the shove or grapple action, giving up damage to create special effects. Thief rogues could use items for a similar effect every round as well, and rogues multi very well with battlemasters too.

Int based warlocks? What's your int supposed to do, all it does in 5e is some skills, so you can just.. grab expertise in the ones you want with like a rogue dip or just do prof + 12 int and there, your concept is done. Martial draconic sorcerers? Just be a sorcardin, or reflavor a pure paladin as one.

>>76948708
And I'm telling people that what they want likely already exists, it requires them to but use the tools available to them in the printed books. We have a lot of published stuff by now, the game came out in 2014.

>> No.76948813
Quoted By: >>76948815

>>76948792
Then use common sense when homebrewing, follow the guidelines in the DMG, and compare to similarly leveled things to make sure its not straying too far from what you intended.
The game already has some too-strong stuff by design, so as long as you don't go beyond "Too strong" you're fine.

>> No.76948814

>>76948803
>We have a lot of published stuff by now, the game came out in 2014.
We actually dont
t. DM with all the books

>> No.76948815
Quoted By: >>76948823

>>76948813
Like Matt mercer? Why oh why would I risk that?

>> No.76948821
Quoted By: >>76948904

>>76948803
If you're asking me to spoonfeed you the exact racial stats of spirit folk, so you can post some shitty 5e homebrew you type up with your greasy sausage fingers, it's not going to happen.

>> No.76948823
Quoted By: >>76948904

>>76948815
Literally who gives a fuck about Matt Mercer or his shitty homebrew. Besides, if you homebrew something and it turns out its too strong or not strong enough, you just do the same thing you do with official content in that scenario and change it to suck less.

>> No.76948828

>>76948803
>And I'm telling people that what they want likely already exists, it requires them to but use the tools available to them in the printed books. We have a lot of published stuff by now, the game came out in 2014.
And yet we still get more content and more splat books and more subclasses and races and rules and material. There is no way that a company will be able to make each and every little thing their massive player base wants in a game. Homebrew always has its place in any TTRPG, its just fans of the game making more content for their games and sometimes sharing it to others.

>> No.76948849
Quoted By: >>76948866 >>76948904

>>76948591
>Multiclassing is for whiteroom fags
whiteroomfags, and the extremely based. there is no midleground.

you can tell by how much they multi of each class, what, and why. if it's like conj wizard 7, champ fighter 13, and they're taking them 2:1,2:1, yeah, they're definitely pretty based. Bonus points if its for cool Vorthos reasons, even though the stats maybe don't line up, like storm sorc with storm herald barb.

if it's paladin 1, hexblade 1-3, paladin 2-6, hexblade 4-6, and all that... yeah, they're shit. if they have a game they're playing in at all, they are most certainly not the ones making it fun.

>> No.76948866
Quoted By: >>76949056

>>76948849
is my celestial warlock 3/spirit bard 3 mutliclassed half-elf based?

>> No.76948885
Quoted By: >>76948899

>>76948682
the only things that have darkvision either live underground, are elves, are from the outer planes, or are based on animals that have darkvision.

>>76948734
sorry, used the original pathfinder name out of old habit. its monk of the four elements in 5e.

>> No.76948899
Quoted By: >>76949089

>>76948885
Okay, then post the revised four elements.

>> No.76948904

>>76948821
Nah man. I just tried googling them and all I'm getting is that the mountain ones talk to small animals. I can't tell what this race is supposed to be.

And have you not yet realized that I am against homebrew, and won't post any fucking homebrew? I was planning on being like "If your player wants to talk to animals give him the Firbolg statblock. Maybe powerful build will be weird, maybe not, I don't know because the wiki doesn't tell me shit about what Spirit folk even are.

>>76948823
Considering WotC made it official, and it makes it glaringly obvious how bad even people who play D&D are at homebrewing, why should we trust people that don't even play?

>There is no way that a company will be able to make each and every little thing their massive player base wants in a game.
No, but because of multiclassing we're very close. Some things, there may not be a good counterpart in 5e. But for a lot of homebrew, especially sorcerer homebrew (pet peeve of mine), there is a l o t of redundant shit because people want their OP sorcerer gishes.

>>76948849
>yeah, they're definitely pretty based.
Why though? I mean once you're level 11 as a fighter you can MC anywhere to your heart's content but whats the point of being a Conj wizard if you don't end up using your Conj wizard features?
>if they have a game they're playing in at all, they are most certainly not the ones making it fun.
Well, that is an atrocious leveling curve.. Why not just do Paladin 2, or hexblade 1 paladin 2 and then get to 6 on paladin? Why are you going past hexblade 3-4 when you already have extra attack?
Jokes aside, highly optimized killing machines have their place at their respective tables. Hexblade has allowed a lot of very interesting combinations and f u n multiclasses that weren't present before. The important thing though, is to optimize around what you expect the optimization level of your table to be, not optimization or multiclassing itself.

>> No.76948942
Quoted By: >>76948974

>>76948904
Good, I don't want your shitty homebrew.

>> No.76948963

>>76948904
>Considering WotC made it official, and it makes it glaringly obvious how bad even people who play D&D are at homebrewing, why should we trust people that don't even play?
What makes their "official" stuff less shitty?
Did you know that even official D&D stuff is just homebrew from their writers?

>> No.76948969
Quoted By: >>76949046

>>76948904
>No, but because of multiclassing we're very close. Some things, there may not be a good counterpart in 5e. But for a lot of homebrew, especially sorcerer homebrew (pet peeve of mine), there is a l o t of redundant shit because people want their OP sorcerer gishes.
And that's okay if there's redundant stuff! I think for example its completely redundant that there exists both a Lore and a Eloquence bard in the game. These two subclasses could easily be reflavored into one another or a Thief and a Scout or Assassin could easily be substituted for one another. Lots of classes & subclasses have a lot of overlap, its just that the mechanics may be better for what an individual person wants. And that's good to me.
I constantly try to remind myself and others of something: Your game is your game, another persons game is theirs. What happens at another groups table may or may not for yours. So at some tables, they have a great time with homebrew and the game is tailored well for them and enjoyable (See Critical Role) and for some others running the game without homebrew or anything like that is good too. Let people enjoy this game they want to, with or without homebrew.

>> No.76948973
Quoted By: >>76949046

>>76948904
Sounds like you hate Homebrew cause you went to a shitty homebrew wiki once and saw a bunch of shit made by 12 year olds and decided all homebrew was bad because some people are bad at making it.

You might have autism

>> No.76948974

>>76948942

>>76948542
>>76948584
>>76948323

How many times do i got to tell you homebrew is cringe you old man

>> No.76948980
Quoted By: >>76949046

>>76948974
Did you know that most of the game's official content was at one time homebrew?

>> No.76949006
Quoted By: >>76949046

>>76948974
I don't want your shitty homebrew.

>> No.76949046
Quoted By: >>76949085

>>76948969
>>76948973
No, I dislike homebrew because I dislike people begging their DM for their features, when they could have had their shit in order ahead of time.
Especially when what they wanted could have just been done with the godsdamned PHB if they just reflavored shit. What a concept, not impacting balance or throwing a curveball at anyone and still getting to play your concept!

>>76948980
Yes, but it is now official! Which means no dm will bat an eyebrow when you bring your character using official books to the table. No frustration in terms of features not meshing with the rules, because WotC publishes errata. They fixed artificer and more.
We shit on WotC, but in fairness, the quality of homebrew is such utter dosgshit I can't even make fun of Mike Mearls of all people in good faith in threads that posted homebrew.

>>76949006
uhuh

>> No.76949056
Quoted By: >>76949090

>>76948866
you're clearly going for a charisma synergy, and it kinda looks like you chose them for mechanical benefits rather than any kind of cohesive vision to fit a concept. So i'd lean no.

but it's juuust unusual enough i'd have to know the full story. you might have something going on and it's just too galaxybrain for me to grok it at 3am after a day with no coffee.

>inb4 muh stormwind
yes, you CAN make something good and vorthosy and it end up being optimized as well. most people just do the latter, and that's ideally not where the priority should be. If anything it would be better if you ignored "muh big numbers" altogether and used that autistic system knowledge to optimizing for vorthos-ness, tulok-style.

>> No.76949085
Quoted By: >>76949162

>>76949046
>PHB if they just reflavored shit.
But what if it doesn't? What if they don't like the mechanics of the feature and it doesn't work the way they want it? Homebrew is there for that. If you've got a problem with balance of something, always approve stuff before you let a player use it. I do that even with official content. I allow a lot of homebrew stuff in my game, and I always look through the homebrew before I allow it in the game, I also reserve the right to make adjustments to the homebrew if its deemed too powerful or too weak as the game goes on.
To me that's just another aspect of keeping the fun as per what a DM does.

>> No.76949089
Quoted By: >>76949110

>>76948899
i THINK it's this? Honestly i never payed much attention to it cause i never wanted to play Duh Avatar Yo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view

>> No.76949090
Quoted By: >>76949144

>>76949056
I'm playing a half-drow from a temple full of clerics, bladesingers, and paladins of the setting's moon goddess, who wasn't good enough to be any of those and became a bard instead, before his patron set him back on the path of being like the people he idolized. So i'm making a fake paladin/bladesinger. Sticking to those two, would probably end up bard 6 warlock 14 at 20. started 2/2.

>> No.76949098
Quoted By: >>76949162

>>76948974
what if it's homebrew that exists to fix stupid stuff wizards has done?

>> No.76949110
Quoted By: >>76949171

>>76949089
Ah, I don't like this one. Base 4 elements has a clear cost formula of base cost + spell level in ki, so you can just add new spells with those guidelines and fix it better than this.

>> No.76949144
Quoted By: >>76949174

>>76949090
>halfdrow too
>even the backstory doesn't seem to know what's going on
jesus christ.

okay, here's an exercise for you anon, just to grow by. the next time you want to make character, before you do anything or make any mechanical decisions, before you even so much as pick up the phb, try to get a complete vision of them in your head, and then describe them aloud without referencing anything in said book. Then, once you've got a good solid idea, start thinking on how to build it.

that is, rather than making the statblock first then trying to make a character out of it, make the character in their entirety first, outside the rules of the game, then try to figure out how to make the statblock match give or take.

>> No.76949162
Quoted By: >>76949186 >>76949190

>>76949085
If there really isn't anything, and you actually tried to brainstorm builds to make it work it's fine. It's the absolute last resort however, and even then consider just tweaking existing things and being very, very conservative with your numbers.

>>76949098
Tasha's is optional content, you can ignore it.

>If anything it would be better if you ignored "muh big numbers" altogether and used that autistic system knowledge to optimizing for vorthos-ness, tulok-style.
Muh big numbers have their place. Berserker/Thief multiclasses are my jam, I really enjoy how Frenzy doubles my damage but has a really impactful drawback to it's use, making it very noticeable at the table when my character is pushing himself to his limits.

>> No.76949171

>>76949110
except that formula was part of its problem. it's way too high, even compared to other monks. you'd get like one or two appropriately leveled spells a shortrest.

shadow monk, for instance, gets a solid handful of second levels spells and pays 2 ki each for them.

>> No.76949174
Quoted By: >>76949215

>>76949144
>doesn't know what's going on
Yeah you're getting the idea! He's faking it, folk hero background since he's a wandering storyteller. Channels spirits to put on plays or tells stories instead of doing it on his own, and relies on charm person to blunt force his way past problems he can't talk out of. I wanted to make a faker, and I'm doing it.
Guess it's not based though.

>> No.76949177
Quoted By: >>76949179

>>76947675
A Silver Dragon Wyrmling is just CR2. I would just let them play that or another Wyrmling and start adding Class Levels, personally.

>> No.76949179
Quoted By: >>76949203

>>76949177
A red dragon wyrmling is CR 5.

>> No.76949186
Quoted By: >>76949241

>>76949162
eh, barbarian rogues are a classic, the Conan special. i really can't knock you for that, there's as much anti-synergy hoops to jump through as synergistic features.

>> No.76949190

>>76949162
>If there really isn't anything, and you actually tried to brainstorm builds to make it work it's fine. It's the absolute last resort however, and even then consider just tweaking existing things and being very, very conservative with your numbers.
I'd just use a new homebrew if a player had one on hand. I'm not afraid of using some content I looked through and approved for a game. I've done it more than enough times at this point to know it works well when you have players who just fine neat content and want to try it.

>> No.76949203
Quoted By: >>76949444

>>76949179
Then if the rest of the party is Level 5 they can play that, and when the party reaches Level 6 it can add its first class level.

Not that I’d allow a Red at my table. That’s just asking for trouble.

>> No.76949215
Quoted By: >>76949253

>>76949174
okay, you wanted to make a faker.
part of that faking is he's summoning spirits to basically tell his stories for him. Sure. Makes sense.

also, there's an angel involved because... reasons, and one of his parents is a drow also because reasons?

>> No.76949241
Quoted By: >>76949262

>>76949186
I find they are very synergistic, but well, what really gripped me on that one was that berserkers normally feel bad because you don't really feel that much stronger during frenzy, so the drawback felt really bad.

On the rogue multiclass though, the damage is normally lower, but with two sneak attacks per round it increases so massively that it makes frenzy feel really powerful. That, and rage lets my strength rogue fight on the frontlines, reckless attack allowing him to fight even on his own.

Now, normally my multiclasses are much stranger because of my.. very specific needs (rogue/ranger/battlemaster/monk strength duergar, or Barbarian/Wizard, etc) but they do the job.
For casters I don't really need to multiclass as much because spell and feat selection tends to be enough.

>> No.76949253

>>76949215
>because... reasons
I'm a player character, and I have the potential to be a good celestial pact choice, natural affinity for that rather than the other options present in my temple. Why else would I be a warlock?

>and one of his parents is a drow also because reasons?
what do you want me to say, I have a drow fetish? drow are cool, half-elves are prone to be wanderers and not fit in anywhere so it fit the image I wanted to be, of not quite a proper bladesinger.

>> No.76949262
Quoted By: >>76949276

>>76949241
>multiclass
rope

>> No.76949276
Quoted By: >>76949283

>>76949262
Can't see why anyone would dislike multiclassing desu. Care to post more than 4 letters on the matter?

>> No.76949283
Quoted By: >>76949313

>>76949276
nope

>> No.76949313

>>76949283
based desu senpai

>> No.76949372
Quoted By: >>76949456 >>76949463

>>76945861
I'd say aasimar/tiefling but they're literally everywhere so it's less of a redflag and more of a sad reality
So kobold

>> No.76949444

>>76949203
>Not that I’d allow a Red at my table. That’s just asking for trouble.
Racist.

>> No.76949451

>>76945805
>Resources:
>http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)
OP, are you ritard?

>> No.76949456

>>76949372
I've never seen nor had a player play an aasimar. Plenty of tielfings, no aasimar.

>> No.76949463

>>76949372
>tieflings/aasimar
I'd put this more on the CR shitters
Ever since their lolsorandom tieflings and the aasimar nigress it has been substantially more insufferable
Doesn't help Wotc that made tieflings and core race

>> No.76949467

>>76948678
>Martial Draconic Sorcerers.
Anon, just play 4E.

>> No.76950239

Has Pirates vs. Ooze monsters been done before in a module? It's basically on a treasure island in my homebrew.



Theme [ FoolFuuka - Default / FoolFuuka - Midnight / Fuuka / Yotsubatwo - Yotsuba / Yotsubatwo - Yotsuba B ]